A. Complete the sentences in reported speech.
- John said, "I love this town."
John said that he loved that town.
- " I like to play soccer with you," he said to me.
He told me that he liked to play soccer with me.
- "We can't drive a lorry," they say.
They say that they can't drive a lorry.
- "I fell down from the tree yesterday," she said to her sister.
She told her sister that she had fallen down from the tree the day before. (the previous day)
- "I always wake up early," she says.
She says that she always wakes up early.
- B. Put in the verbs in brackets into the gaps.
1) We worked in a restaurant in 2001. (to work)
2) Jack broke the window of the gym
this morning. (to break)
3) I'm sorry. I have never forgotten my diary. (to forget / never)
4) Last Monday, she checked her computer. (to check)
5) They have cleaned the bike since 7 o’clock.
It looks new again.(to clean)
6) Two years ago, Mary visited Bath. (to visit)
7) I have not been to Siberia yet. (not/to be)
8) Yesterday, we played volleyball. (to play)
9) Have you ever done magic tricks? (to do)
10) The children have not cleaned their room yet.
It's still dirty. (not/to clean)
C. Choose the correct answer.
1) My father _____ his video camera yesterday. a) forgets b) forgot c) forgotten
2) Steven _____ across the Altantic. a) has never flew b) has never flown c) has never fly
3) _____ a snake? a) Have you ever touch b) Have you ever touched c) Do you never touched
4) We _____ the film at home. a) have already saw b) have already see c) have already seen
5) She _____ the contest three years ago. a) didn't win b) didn't won c) hasn't won
6) They _____ their books out yet. a) haven't take b) haven't taken c) haven't took
7) The thieves _____ the painting in 1999. a) steal b) stole c) have stolen
8) Last week my uncle _____ a new car. a) driven b) drives c) drove
9) I _____ the blue pen. a) have just choose b) have just chose c) have just chosen
10) When _____ this morning? a) did you wake up b) did you woke up c) did you woken up
D.English exercise "yet, already, since, for"
- Wait a moment please! I have not finished the last exercise yet.
- I have already seen this movie twice.
- We have not seen each other yet.
- Jack and Paulinehave been married for three years.
- Haven't you doneyour Christmas shopping yet?
- Stephen has worked here since last May.
- Put your money away. I have already paid the bill.
- I have lived in the same house since I was born.
- Ihave not cooked supper yet because I thought you were going to be late.
- Do not say anything to Mary. Ihave not told anyone yet.
- E. Fill prefixes or suffixes.(Only from the book).
- happy -unhappy / happiness 11.1 correct - incorrect
- understand - misunderstand 12.1. courage - courageous
- danger - dangerous 13.1. sleep - sleepless
- penny - penniless 14.1. wind- rewind
- gentle - gentleness 15.1 possible - impossible
- cycle - bicycle 16.1 agree - disagree
- govern - government 17.1 care - careful / careless
- manage - management
- F. Prefixes and suffixes.
- I don't know where she went. (APPEAR) I'm sorry I misunderstand her message completely now. I simply didn't pay attention. (UNDERSTAND)
- She was here a minute ago but then she disappeared.
- We usually havesimilar opinions but
I totally disagree with him on this subject. (AGREE)
- My homework was so bad that I had to rewrite it. (WRITE)
- She finally managed to unlock the door and we were able to go in. (LOCK)
- I disliked the movie but everyone else enjoyed it. (LIKE)
- I don't think I will pass the exam but I can retake it in September. (TAKE)
- He wrapped my present so well that it took me five minutes to unwrap it. (WRAP)
- I thought it was very impolite of him to treat her
in such a brutal way. (POLITE)
10. The store closed down but it will reopen next month. (OPEN)
G. Write the compound words.
- Something that doesn’t work. = backfire
- A man who is a member of group that works
to put out fires. = fireman / firefighter
- A covered hole in a street that a person can go down into
to do work under the street. = manhole
- To add money to a cellular phone. = top - up / top up
- A tower with a powerful light that is built on or near the shore to
guide ships away from danger. = lighthouse
H. Write the synonym 1-4 / antonym 5-6
- sew .....so/sow….there …their…. 3. too …to, two..
- sum …some… won …one… 6. here …hear….
- hair…hare… 8. where …wear…. 9. know …no….
- a fight = a …row…. 11. a gift = …a…present…
- the leader = the…head...
edit @ 5 Feb 2017 23:51:33 by English2016 G.5